Who is eligible to apply for ITIN?
There are two types of individual tax identification numbers in the United States. The first is the Social Security Number which can be obtained only if the person is a US citizen, has a Green Card or has a visa that provides him/her with a temporary residency in the US. The other number is the Individual Tax Identification Number; which is abbreviated as ITIN. Anyone who cannot get a Social Security number (SSN) needs to obtain ITIN for tax purposes.
There are a few situations in which you need to have an ITIN, and these all are related to tax purposes. For example, when you want to open a bank account for your company in the US, you need to have an individual tax identification number for your company. Also, the bank might ask for the individual tax identification numbers when opening bank accounts for your business. This varies depending on the state laws and the security regulations of the banks. In this case, you need to have an ITIN.
Below is a list of people who can obtain ITIN:
- Foreign individuals who are not eligible for a Social Security Number but have a tax liability to the US Government
- Individuals who do not live in the US, who are not likely to obtain SSN; but, need a tax ID number for tax returns
- Individuals who came to the US for residency purpose and need to have a tax ID number for tax return
- Spouses and dependents of the US citizens and foreign individuals who went to the US for residency purposes and are not eligible to obtain an SSN and required to pay taxes
- Spouses and dependents of individuals who are not residents of the US but needed to file taxes
If you are eligible to obtain ITIN according to the above list, you first need to apply for it to IRS. An important note here is that all the individuals who fit the list above must apply separately for an ITIN. That means all family members must use on their own.
Lastly, as to the answer to the main question of this paper, to apply ITIN, (i) a completed copy of Form W-7 and (ii) valid identification of the person needing the number is required.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email@example.com. You can also reach us at +1 (302) 803-9501. We are always glad to help you!